Welcome to the WordPress edit guide.
This is a general editors guide to making changes to your wordpress website.
Before any edits can be made you must log into the admin area located here: www.sigmanuboulder.com/admin with your secure username and password. Once you are logged in you may follow the instructions below to make changes.
Remember to always click on the “Publish” or “Save Draft” button on the right hand side of the page in the “edit” section before you leave the page or you will lose your edits. The “Save Draft” link will save a copy of the page you are working on if you want to work on it later or Offline without it being live.
After you are logged into the admin you will see navigation links on the left hand side under “Dashboard” and on the top. In the top left corner will be a “home” link that will bring you back to the website but you will still be logged into the admin. You can navigate to any page from there. Go to the page you want to edit. There will be a “edit” link in the right hand corner of every page. Click on that. That will bring you back to the editors section for that particular page. There you will see the page in either the “text” mode or “visual” mode. You can work in either.
Creating a New Page
A new page can be created by hovering over the “+ New” link and choosing “Page” at the top of the page. *Always use the Template “Full Width (No Sidebar)” from the dropdown on the right side of page under “Page Attributes” when adding a new page.
Adding the New Page to Your Navigation
- Under “Appearance” go to “Menus”.
- You will see on the right is the menu order. As you will see the dropdown menu items of the menu are indented, the items or links that are not indented are the main topics.
- On the column next to that is the list of Pages that are available. Check the box of the page you want to add to the menu then click “Add to Menu”. This will put the new link at the bottom of the list, or end of the menu. You can drag and drop this to wherever you want on the navigation.
- IMPORTANT: Keep in mind that there is only a certain amount of room for the main links across the top menu. Adding the new link as a dropdown menu item would be the best thing to do at this point.
- Text edits: simply edit the text you want or add a new paragraph and publish.
- Adding an image: click on an area of the page in the editor, click on the “Add Media” button above the edit section, this will bring you to the “Media Library”. This is where all the images for the website are. You can either upload your own image or select one from the library. Once you select an image you will have the choice of the size of the image you want to use, full size or thumbnail. You will also be able link the image to another page or anywhere else by entering the URL. These selections will be in the lower right hand corner of the screen. Choose whether you want the image centered, left or right. The right placement of the image will be a matter of trial and error. Place the image, publish, and then “view page”, this link is right under the Title of the page above the editor. If it’s not in the right place delete it or copy the code or image and paste it somewhere else.
- Image descriptions and captions can be added when you select an image in the media gallery. On the right hand side there will be a form. The “caption” will show up on the page when submitted. The description will not.
- In the admin area the navigation at the top of the page will show a link called “Add Event”. Click on that. This will bring up the “Add Event” form page. The form is pretty self explanatory You can get as detailed as you want. At the bottom of the form click “Save Event” and it will add the event to your calendar.
- In the admin area on the left hand navigation there is also a link to “My Calendar”. If you click on that link it will take you to the same place. In the sub-navigation you have the capability to manage other aspects of the calendar. You can also delete events from here.
- Revising colors and font styles is bit more complicated. This is done in the admin area under “Appearance” and “Editor”. This requires some html skill. If you click on “Editor” it will bring up a editor window that has the websites main stylesheet. This file controls most of the look and feel of the site. Whatever is changed on this and saved will affect the entire website not just one page. Unless you have a need for a major global site change I would stay away from editing these files.
Home Page Slider and Features
- Also under “Appearance” is a link called “Theme Options”. This is where you can make revisions to the slideshow on the home page and the “Features” images.
- Home page slider – Once in the Theme Options section you will see a section called “Slider Settings” click on that. This will bring up the list of slides that are being displayed on the home page. Click on the ” + ” and you will see a thumbnail of the image. You can also put a title and description for each slide that will show up on the home page. I didn’t think this was necessary for this site but you can be the judge of that. The slideshow has capability to show 7 slides. You can replace these with other images if you like. They just have to have dimensions of – 1920 pixels in length and 450 pixels in height. Any smaller or larger and they will show up funny in the browser. You can drag and drop the order of the slides.
- Features – this section is done in the same fashion as the slider accept the dimensions will be 350 pixels wide by 250 height.
- This is a section you may use quite a bit. On the main Dashboard there is link called “Gallery”.
- To create a new gallery click on “Add Gallery/Images”. On this page you can either add images to an existing gallery or create a new one. There is a dropdown menu called “Gallery” that has a default of “create a new gallery” and blank space next to it. The dropdown lists all the galleries that are currently on the website. If you choose an existing gallery you can add images to it by clicking “Add Files” once you add the files you want then click “Start Upload” this will add the images to the gallery. There is no save or publish to this page.
- Manage Galleries – when you click on that it will bring up the list of galleries. When you click on one it will bring up a page or several pages of the images that are in the gallery. This is where you can add descriptions to the images. If you made changes to this page make sure you “save changes”.
- Sorting Images – on the same page as the list of images right above the images there is a link called “Sort Gallery” click on that and it will bring up all of the images in that gallery in thumbnails. They will be in rows. The top left image being the first image in the gallery. You can drag and drop the images in the order you want. Click on “Update Sort Order” when completed.
- New Gallery – when creating a new gallery go back to “Add Gallery/Images” and type in a new gallery, upload the images.
- Adding a new Gallery to Your Page – for each gallery created a new “id” is created. This is how the page finds which gallery to display on the page. After creating a new gallery go to “Manage Galleries”. This will list the galleries that have been created. On the left side of the list there will be an “id” number for each one. Now this is the important part – there is what they call a short code that you will need to copy and pasted into the page you want your new gallery to be on. You must replace the “id” number with your new id number.
Click here for the code to copy
- Place the code with the galleries id number on the page where you want it to display.